Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of engineering, physics and mathematics to design, analyze, manufacture and maintain mechanical systems. Mechanical engineering encompasses problem-solving techniques and applying them to the design, development, and testing of equipment. As a discipline, Mechanical Engineering is the most versatile of all engineering fields and can make a fundamental difference in the start-up success of a client project in the semiconductor, pharmaceutical, medical device and data center industries
The main role of a LotusWorks Mechanical Engineer is to ensure that a piece of equipment or machine works as intended, and they are involved in the design, testing and inspection of all mechanical systems within the client manufacturing facility. In the pharmaceutical industry for example, a mechanical engineer plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the mechanical systems of equipment/machinery works efficiently and highlights any concerns/issues that might impact on production.
The Role of a Mechanical Engineer in the Semiconductor Industry
Mechanical engineering deals with the moving parts of any machine or system and in order to ensure equipment/machinery are set up and working efficiently, a mechanical engineer must work in collaboration with electrical engineers and third-party vendors to ensure project success. a Mechanical Engineer plays a fundamental role in the semiconductor industry. These Mechanical engineers ensure that mechanical equipment such as chillers, boilers, air handlers etc. are functioning as intended. The malfunction or interruption of these mechanical systems can have a direct impact on the chip manufacturing process.
Mechanical engineering jobs are almost always in high demand as their expertise is needed in almost every industry. The daily responsibilities of a mechanical engineer in the semiconductor industry can include:
1. Execution of mechanical equipment and systems, including; industrial chilled and hot water systems, process cooling water, exhaust systems, compressed air systems, boilers chillers, cooling towers, air handlers, rooftop units, air compressors, fans and motors
2. Ensure work is performed in a safe manner consistent with work practices and quality standards
3. Development of individual mechanical systems in line with design intent
4. Review contractor testing procedures
5. Mechanical system walk-downs and installation verification
6. Review of design drawings and specifications to ensure all equipment has been installed correctly and meets the owners project requirements
7. Field execution of functional acceptance testing (FAT), verification of the operation and integration of all individual mechanical system components
What Skills do Mechanical Engineers Need?
Mechanical Engineers are hands-on problem solvers who apply their skills to design, develop, build and test mechanical equipment. Mechanical engineers apply a range of skills to their work;
Attention to detail
Ability to work across multidisciplinary teams
What Does it Take to Become a Mechanical Engineer?
At LotusWorks our Mechanical Engineers usually work within the commissioning space across the semiconductor, pharmaceutical, medical device and data center industries. If you are passionate about engineering, enjoy a challenge, problem solving, working within a team and have hands-on experience working with mechanical systems you would thrive as a LotusWorks’ Mechanical Engineer.