LotusWorks’ talent team top tips
Most technical recruiters know how to spot a good technical candidate but what makes a candidate stand out is someone who encompasses more than technical capability – it’s about being able to uphold the standards of the employer, adhere to the company values and most of all be a right fit for the team.
LotusWorks’ Talent Acquisition team are committed, not only to sourcing the best technical talent to support global projects, but they must also have the ability to recognise the desired talent that would make a great LotusWorker and good fit for the company culture, the team and client project.
“For the talent team it’s about spotting a right fit candidate not only for the role or because they match the projects desired skillset but also someone who we know will be a good fit for the team. We’re just as focused on a person’s attributes such as ambition, accountability, and their eagerness to learn and be a team player”, said Matthew Corporate Technical Recruiter with LotusWorks.
When it comes to interviewing, preparation is key
By taking the time to review common interview questions, practice your responses and learn more about the company you’re interviewing with, you can set yourself up for success. Matthew, based in Boston MA, emphasises the importance of “keeping it simple, be honest and be yourself” when it comes to interviews.
“Great employees that fit with the team are not always easy to find. Even the most qualified candidates need to prepare for their job interview. Why, you ask? Interview skills are learned, and there are no second chances to make a great first impression. Technical competencies are a must but it’s also important for an interviewer to spot the attributes of a candidate who would be great fit for the company culture and team.
As the demand for engineering and technical expertise continues to grow, Matthew shares his top tips for Engineers and Technicians taking part in today’s recruitment processes and how they can create the best impression when interviewing.
Matthew’s top interview tips for technical talent:
- Role Specific – ensure your resume / CV is tailored to the specific role that you are applying for. Often candidates forget to update the summary section on their resume / CV to the role they are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a Superintendent role in the Pharmaceutical industry, ensure you have read the job description and the resume / CV summary is specific to that role
- Attention to Detail – When talking about your past experience try to avoid giving a quick summary. It is important to be able to speak about your experience in detail and be able to go back at least 10 years even if you were in a different career – it is relevant. Being detail-orientated is essential when applying for a technical or engineering role
- Make sure to Listen – It is important to have your questions researched ahead of your interview. However, what will set you apart from other candidates is asking questions that are related to information that the interviewees might have discussed during the interview process. It is easy to research questions ahead of your interview that are commonly asked but asking questions specific to information you were made aware of during the interview will really emphasise your interest in the company
- Follow-up – A good follow-up email is always beneficial as it shows your genuine interest in the role and appreciation for interviewees time. Sometimes you might think of a question you have after the interview and it is also okay to ask this question in your follow-up email, again it will emphasise your interest in the company
- Safety Conscious – Being able to demonstrate that you are safety conscious is crucial in the interview process as safety is a core value at LotusWorks and within the regulated industry sectors our clients operate in. In depth-knowledge of local and safety national codes and the ability to demonstrate your awareness of the importance of safety in the workplace is important to demonstrate
- Identify Company Values – Prior to interviewing, it is important to be aware of the company’s values and what they look for in an employee to illustrate that you are a good fit for the company. Teamwork is one of LotusWorks’ core values and something that we look out for in interviews is a candidate’s ability to demonstrate their teamwork during the interview process
These tips alone may not win you the job—but they can certainly get you a little closer. When you start your interview out on the right foot, you’ll be able to face the tough questions with confidence which could be the key to your new career journey. If you want to be part of the LotusWorks team view a full list of current vacancies and opportunities at LotusWorks visit HERE. Don’t forget to follow us on social media to keep up to date with our job openings and life at LotusWorks.
< Back to Articles