Project Duration: May 2016 to May 2019
Partnership Commenced: April 2016
Services: Commissioning, Construction Management, and Operations
This client ‘Giga factory’ is located in Sparks, Nevada and is one of the world’s most advanced automotive plants. LotusWorks’ relationship with this client began in 2016 with just two LotusWorks employees on-site, with a total of 54 employees working on the project during its peak.
The client appointed LotusWorks to manage and own the start-up and commissioning of facilities systems and associated buildings required to operate and support over 5 million square feet of manufacturing space for this global electrical car manufacturing client. This included all electrical distribution, HVAC, process cooling water, LSS, instrumentation and controls, gas and chemical distribution, exhaust systems, and compressed air.
Prior to the LotusWorks construction team arriving on-site in June 2016 the construction schedule was behind with very little commissioning activities able to take place. To avoid a reduction of workforce on the commissioning LotusWorks identified some areas to support the client construction team:
- Design packages were reviewed and feedback given to improve the design
- Quality reviews of ongoing construction installs to resolve issues as trades were still mobilized
- Tracking of equipment deliveries and install status to meet room turnover milestones.
- Development of a detailed Commissioning Plan outlining the processes and steps on how commissioning activities will be executed
- Developed and executed necessary documentation and tests to ensure that Fundamental Commissioning was achieved as part of the LEED Certification process
- Development of individual system specific commissioning and start up procedures in line with design intent, construction-specific drawings, submittals, specifications, sequence of operations, and process & system integration
- Field execution of functional acceptance testing (FAT), verification of the operation and integration of all individual system components as part of a fully functional controlled system as per design intent. System performance-based activities provided verification of the system integrity necessary to allow operations to begin
- Facility Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) review and inspection ensured that critical safety, emergency equipment, systems, and procedures were in place prior to any equipment and system start-ups
- Commissioning schedule alignment with the project master schedule. Published schedule progress, critical success indicators (CSI) and milestone information. Reporting of equipment start-ups, operational acceptance testing (OAT), functional acceptance testing (FAT) and green/orange tagging (GT/OT) activities
- Operations and Maintenance (O&M) manual reviews and content verification in line with the Commissioning Plan and O&M Manual review procedure
- The client was supported with engineering expertise which enabled a smooth handover from construction to operational level
- O&M manual reviews and content verification in line with the Commissioning Plan and O&M Manual review procedure
- Provided 24/7 operations coverage to monitor and maintain equipment during the construction phase of the project prior to owner acceptance
- LotusWorks’ teams ensured the client met all project milestones, avoiding delays and costly reworks
- Reduced construction delays due to commissioning input in the design phase, reducing long term spend and optimising the return on investment
- Ramp up and ramp down capabilities meant the client was supported on various aspects of the project and had expert technical resources available as needed
- Utilised Total Preventative Maintenance (TPM), Condition Based Monitoring (CBM) and Lean Maintenance, driving productivity, increased safety on site and decreased the likelihood of equipment downtime